Panther Rants is The Onion of Pitt Sports. Formerly a serious recruiting blog written by a serious recruiting writer, the site was taken over by mediocre bloggers that provide satire, sarcasm and anything but serious information. Everything on this site is tongue-in-cheek and is not meant for serious consumption.

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Coach's Corner

Periodically, Serafino "Foge" Fazio, the former Pitt head football coach and Panther Rants contributor and college football analyst, will telepathically share his thoughts with Panther Rants readers in a new segment, "Coach's Corner." Today marks the first of many installments to come.


I'd first like to address the positive statements I recently made to the "traditional media" regarding Pitt football. I meant every word. I know talent. No one in the history of Pitt football squandered more of it than me. I see promise in coach Wannstedt to perhaps unseat me, but he's only now approaching the levels of talent I had during the 1980s.

The talent level at Pitt is actually reaching Division I level right now after former coach wlat spent three years largely adding guys who could barely stay on the field with Furman. I think we will find out over the next two seasons if Coach Wannstedt can unseat me as wasting the most talent ever at Pitt. It's a double-edged sword for me. On one hand, I want to see Pitt succeed. On the other hand, it would be nice to hear people say "At least Foge didn't shit the bed as bad as (someone)."

Speaking of shitting the bed - Joe Paterno, I have some advice for you. First, always take a pregame dump. Second, no metamucil on game day. OK, so I'm kidding around a little with my former worthy opponent. But what I would never kid about is discipline on a football team. In that regard, JoPa should be commended for the way he handled the players recently involved in a State College brawl.

Having the entire team spending seven Sundays during the fall being worshipped by the grounds crew at Beaver Stadium while they are "cleaning" up after each home game should do wonders to instill discipline and responsibility into these young men. Having them miss an important early season home game against Notre Dame would only penalize the program. Kudos, Joe.

Keep your chins up, Panther fans. Word is that Grambling is bringing its band.

Cue Pearl Jam "Alive" ... Fazio, OUT!

Coach's Corner is brought to you by Sheetz in Breezewood.

No comments: