Panther Rants is The Onion of Pitt Sports. Formerly a serious recruiting blog written by a serious recruiting writer, the site was taken over by mediocre bloggers that provide satire, sarcasm and anything but serious information. Everything on this site is tongue-in-cheek and is not meant for serious consumption.

Monday, May 7, 2007

Runnin' with Kevin Jones



When we at Panther Rants learned Kevin Jones would be running through western Pennsylvania over the weekend, we felt it was a good time to rent a golf cart and get an update from the Detroit Lions running back. Jones still hasn't stopped running since November of 2003, when Pitt's poor defense allowed him to rack up the second easiest 200-yard rushing performance in the history of the game. His effort is topped only by the ease with which former Notre Dame running back Julius Jones hung 243 on the Pitt D earlier that same season.

PR: Kevin, how does it feel to be back in Pittsburgh.
KJ: It's great, man. I always love coming back to Pittsburgh. I started something special here. I understand it's something Pitt fans still talk about to this day. It probably got me an extra million or two from the Lions. So I have a special place in my heart for Pittsburgh. The only annoying part is every so often when I come through town, two-time team MVP Dan Stephens still tries to chase me down. It's tougher to avoid him now than it was then because he's driving a car after me. Still, I just juke and he drives into a Jersey barrier ... three, no four, times that's happened now.

PR: And you still lost that game. How is that?

KJ: I have no clue. In the past I had always told people it was because wlat is such a special coach - how can you own Frank Beamer and not be a special coach? Then last year at Stanford he showed why he was run out of Pittsburgh. How we ever lost to any team coached by that guy is now a complete and utter mystery to me.

PR: Your performance at Pitt that day was astounding, but it ranks second to a better day had by Julius Jones earlier that season. How do you feel about that?
KJ: Julius set the standard that season. I really thought I would easily surpass what he did. Then coach Beamer lost his mind and started trying to throw the ball around with that two-headed quarterback system. Man, if he would have stayed on task, I could've hung 300 or 400 on Pitt that day. But I guess we'll never know.
I run with Julius from time to time. You would think it would be more frequent given that we've both been "still running" four 3 1/2 years. But he got a head start on me and we've frequently been heading in different directions. When we get the chance to run for an hour or so, we always talk about how grateful we are for that Pitt team. Those two games made our careers.

PR: Well, Kevin, we're starting to run out of fuel, so thanks for taking the time to speak with us. How long do you figure you'll keep running?
KJ: Until one of these things happens: Wlat proves Pitt was wrong in getting rid of him; Wannstedt wins the Big East; or Matt Millen proves he's at all adequate as a GM.
PR: We'll plan to talk in another 3 1/2 years then, OK?
KJ: You got it.

No comments: